Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Keeping my world colorful and del.icio.us




Week 6: This week I am considering the ramifications of del.icio.us. It means that I can bookmark to that website, instead of my computer. OK -- I won't have to be at my own desk computer to bring up my favorites.
Late entry: I finally registered at Technorati. I guess that's about the literati of the blogosphere. I see that our NFL learns 2.0 site has been picked up because of the previous entries of our staff members.
Later entry: Web 2.0 - Is this where the medium meets the message? People create "spaces" for themselves on the internet, add some content and then assign various internet services to troll for information that they desire to have on tap. Doesn't this mean that our physical selves begin to have an aspect living in cyberspace when we are interacting (give and take) with our faithful information gathering servants? The fact that I have tentacles reaching into and out from this virtual world doesn't creep me out in the least. It is actually endlessly fascinating.
Paradoxically, this means more immediate and personalized library service to patrons is possible while simultaneously being removed and remote. We can bypass the metamessages of appearance, dress, speech and social standing (except for what we might read into the formulation of the queries) and get quick, tailored or automated answers out -- I hope.

1 comment:

redcat said...

I also signed up for the Yahoo avatar. I found her "winking" at me rather disconcerting, so she got deleted real fast!